The beauty of Mexico is recognized worldwide and that is reflected in the millions of visitors that fill the airports every year, for them this post “Requirements to enter Mexico, what are they?”.
In 2019, Mexico was among the 10 most visited countries in the world, in 2020, it ranked third on that list, according to the World Tourism Organization and in 2021, more than 31 million tourists visited the country; these numbers reflect the excellent place that Mexico has among the preferences of international travelers.
Given this scenario, it is more than clear the importance of knowing what are the requirements requested by the Mexican state and if they are the same for all foreign visitors.
More details below…
What are the requirements to enter Mexico?
As is the case throughout the world, entry into a country is conditional on the approval of the immigration and health authorities, who are responsible for verifying compliance with the provisions in each review filter located at land, air and sea entry points.
The National Migration Institute is the entity in charge of controlling compliance with the requirements to enter Mexico; they are:
1. Valid passport or identity and travel document, which is valid in accordance with international law. It must be in good condition and it is recommended that it be valid for at least six months.
2. Multiple Migratory Form (FMM) or, failing that, the Electronic Multiple Migratory Form, for foreigners entering the country by land or air. Submit the duly filled format.
This FMM is usually delivered on airlines, buses, commercial vessels before arriving in Mexico.
This migratory form, once the entry has been authorized and is duly stamped, must be kept by the visitor since it must be delivered to the INM officer upon leaving the country. If you don’t have it, you will have to pay a fine.
3. Likewise, the immigration authority may request the foreign person to verify the reason for their trip, for which they may request:
Hotel reservation, return tickets (itinerary), tour tickets (itinerary).
You can also request proof of economic solvency for the period of stay in the national territory. It is highly recommended to have an international credit card.
Mandate letter in Spanish from the parent company, affiliate or foreign subsidiary that indicates that the foreign person is an employee of it and that the payment of the services that will be provided in the national territory will be paid by it.
Contract for the transfer of technology, patents and trademarks, purchase and sale of machinery and equipment, technical training of personnel, or any other related to the production process of a company established in Mexico or that link the foreign party with the Mexican party , or proof of appointment by the shareholders’ meeting of companies legally established in Mexico (Copy).
Letter from a public or private organization or institution in which the foreign person is invited to participate in some unpaid activity in national territory, stating the purpose of the visit and the estimated length of stay. In the event that the organization or institution bears the travel and permanence expenses of the foreign person in the national territory, a responsive letter must be attached
Letter of invitation or acceptance from an institution belonging to the National Educational System to carry out courses, studies or research or training projects for a maximum period of one hundred and eighty days (Original).
Continue reading, there are some more…
4. In the case of girls, boys or adolescents or persons under legal guardianship in terms of civil legislation, who are accompanied by a third party of legal age or traveling alone, they must present a document stating authorization to leave the national territory of the persons who exercise parental authority or guardianship over them granted before a Notary Public or competent authority. In the case of a document granted abroad, it must be legalized or apostilled as the case may be, with its translation when it is a language other than Spanish.
5. In relation to the articles that visitors to Mexico can introduce, it is suggested to visit the following informative sections of the Tax Administration Service (SAT), since it is the competent authority.
Among the important points, it is necessary to consider that according to the provisions of the SAT, amounts must be declared in cash, in documents receivable or a combination of both that together exceed 10,000.00 (ten thousand US dollars) or its equivalent in national currency or other currencies. . More details here.
On the other hand, those who visit Mexican territory and for some reason wish to transport agri-food products must meet certain requirements, info here.
6. A visa can be added to all the above requirements if necessary. Here it is worth clarifying that only for visitors from some countries this requirement applies, cases of States with which Mexico does not have an agreement. To check whether or not you need a visa, you can check this link.
What are the requirements to enter Mexico with pets?
If you travel with pets you must also meet special requirements, in principle you must contact the airline to ensure that you meet the travel conditions according to the type of pet.
Already being in Mexican territory you must contact the official staff of Senasica who will be in charge of making an Import Certificate for your pet; To do this, the officer will carry out a physical and documentary inspection to verify compliance with the following requirements:
1. Certificate of Good Health valid for a maximum of 15 days after being issued in original and simple copy. See details in link before ending section.
2. Your pet must enter in a carrier or container, clean, without bed, without implements or accessories (toys, treats, prizes or other objects, made with ingredients of ruminant origin), otherwise, they will be removed for destruction. The transporter or container will receive a preventive spray treatment by the official staff of Agriculture-Senasica; You can enter with your collar, leash, etc.
3. You can enter the day’s ration of balanced food in bulk.
4. If you are traveling from the United States and Canada, it is not necessary to present your pet’s Health certificate, you just have to contact the official Senasica staff who will carry out a physical inspection of your pet.
If you have a pet other than a dog or cat, you should consult more details here.
Requirements to enter Mexico in times of the COVID 19 pandemic
Since the pandemic began in 2020, Mexico has not imposed sanitary restrictions on entry into its territory.
Although many countries request a vaccination certificate or negative tests prior to travel, in Mexico it is not necessary to present them.
We recommend that you consult the measures requested by the company in which you are going to transport yourself and also consider the requirements of the countries in which you are going to make a stopover.
1. The passport and the migratory form you must make sure to keep them very well.
2. Medical insurance is not a mandatory requirement, however, keep in mind that health costs in Mexico can be very high and it is better to have one.
3. Check out our blog about the main airports in Mexico such as the CDMX Airport, Cancun, etc., you will also find tips for traveling by plane in a pandemic and much more.
4. Make sure you review all the necessary documents and requirements before leaving on your trip, avoid arriving tired and/or jet lagged and having to spend extra time at Immigration or, worse still, being denied entry.
5. Visit Mexico, enjoy it to the fullest, it will fascinate you! If you need help, you can contact us here.