The best beaches in the Algarve They have nothing to envy to the most paradisiacal tropical destinations. In fact, some Algarve beaches are among the most beautiful in Europe. Hay more than 100 beaches throughout the southern region of Portugal, so you will have a lot of variety to choose from. It is clear that it is impossible to know them all, but next we share the 12 best beaches in the Algarve so you don’t miss any.
At the end of the article you will find a map with the location of all the beaches mentioned to help you organize your route through the Algarve 🙂 We also propose 20 incredible places to see in the Algarve beyond its beautiful beaches.
THE 12 BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE (PORTUGAL)
1. Praia de Dona Ana (Lagos), our favorite
It is the most famous beach in Lagos, and it deserves it! The rocks that jut out into the sea create a landscape like no other. Being sheltered between rocks, It has a very calm water ideal for bathing no waves. It is also great for scuba divingthe water is crystal clear and there is plenty of marine fauna.
The proximity to the city of Lagos is another point in favor, although that means that there are always enough people. But the beach is big enough so that it is not cramped. It takes about 25 minutes to walk from the center.
2. Praia da Marinha (Lagoa), one of the best beaches in the Algarve
It is the most famous in Portugal. In fact, it has been considered several times as one of the most beautiful on the European continent.. It is typical of the Algarve, with very clean greenish waters and surrounded by rocky cliffs. But the most impressive They are the two natural arches that the force of the sea has created over the years.
The closest city to stay near Praia da Marinha is Lagoa. Buses leave from there to the beach if you don’t have a car.
3. Praia dos Estudantes (Lagos), a pleasant surprise
During our stay in Lagos it was one of the most surprising. They told us not to go there in summer because it was the closest to the center of Lagos and where there were the most people. However, we tried it and we were pretty much alone.
And it is one of the most beautiful. It’s a postcard beach! The most beautiful thing is the arch that joins the two rocks. Of course, wear booties because there are quite a few rocks in the water.
4. Praia do Camilo (Lagos), on the way to Ponta da Piedade
Lagos has so many beautiful beaches that it is impossible to get tired of them. Praia do Camilo is another one that you cannot miss. It is located on the way to Ponta da Piedade and has really beautiful waters. Yes indeed, It is a fairly small cove and it is usually full of people, but that does not mean that it is not one of the best beaches in the Algarve.
5. Praia da Falesia (Albufeira), one of the best beaches in the Algarve if you want to relax
If you are looking for tranquility, Praia da Falesia is one of the best beaches in the Algarve. It has, nothing more and nothing less, than 8 kilometers long. So you will surely find a little bit of sand for your towel. Plus it’s beautiful. behind it has a large reddish earth cliff with some pine trees on top.
And if you want to see it prettier you have to go at sunset. With the last rays of the sun of the day, the rocks take on an even more spectacular tone. The closest city to stay is Albufeirabut you will need a car to get to this beach.
6. Praia dos Três Irmãos (Alvor), a beautiful cove
This beach is not as well known as the previous ones but it is well worth it. It is a cove surrounded by rocks and caves that connect with other coves. The greenish color of the water makes it a spectacular beach. It is also quite quiet because it is sheltered by the rocks. Next door is alvor beachmuch more extensive but also more exposed to the wind.
7. Praia dos Três Castelos (Portimão), one of the best beaches in the Algarve if you are looking for a good atmosphere
It is a super complete beach. It is right next to Praia da Rocha, where you will find many bars, restaurants where you can try delicious typical Portuguese dishes and other facilities to spend a great day at the beach with your family. In general, it is quite extensive so we do not think you will have a problem finding a place.
It even has soccer fields, basketball fields, and a beach volleyball court. You will not miss anything! If you stay in Portimão you can walk there in half an hour. The most special thing about this beach are the three rock formations in the water.
8. Praia de Albandeira (Carvoeiro) and its natural arch
The main icon and reason to visit this beach is the Arco de Albandeira. It seems incredible that nature has been able to create this beautiful natural arch! The views from the top are beautiful, so we advise you to walk a bit before going down the stairs to take some good photos.
It is better to visit it when there is low tide since otherwise there is usually little space to stretch out the towel. In addition, you will be able to access a grotto and a hidden beach.
9. Benagil beach (Carvoeiro), famous for the Benagil cave
It is another very beautiful beach, famous because right next to it is the well-known cave of Benagil. Our advice is to go early in the morning to take a seat since it is a very touristy place and it is always quite full. Benagil beach is one of the best beaches in the Algarve to spend the day. When you’re tired of sunbathing, book a boat ride that will take you to the grotto and enjoy its beauty. You can too rent a kayak and paddle to the famous cave.
10. Praia do Carvalho (Carvoeiro) another joy in the Algarve
It is a very beautiful beach which is accessed through a small tunnel. Previously it was a private beach and belonged to Captain Carvalho. What a luxury to have this marvel all to yourself, right? 😉 It is still a relatively calm beach. There are no hotels or resorts directly on the beach. In addition, the water is very clean and is usually quite calm.
11. Praia dos Caneiros (Ferragudo), a blue and green paradise surrounded by cliffs
This beach is typical of the Algarve: beautiful waters and spectacular rock formations. It is not one of the best known in the area but it is well worth it. However, we did not like that to access it you have to go through a beach bar, which detracts from its charm. If you like to calmly enjoy the sunset, from Praia dos Caneiros there are great views of the sunset.
12. Praia da Balança (Lagos), one of the best beaches in the Algarve
It is the beach that is closest to Ponta da Piedade. Of course, access is really complicated due to the erosion of the rocks. So if you want to enjoy this beautiful beach, you must access it from the sea. Without a doubt, one of the best beaches in the Algarve.
WHERE ARE THE BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE
SUMMARY OF THE BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE
What do we tell you in this post?
- THE 12 BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE (PORTUGAL)
- 1. Praia de Dona Ana (Lagos), our favorite
- 2. Praia da Marinha (Lagoa), one of the best beaches in the Algarve
- 3. Praia dos Estudantes (Lagos), a pleasant surprise
- 4. Praia do Camilo (Lagos), on the way to Ponta da Piedade
- 5. Praia da Falesia (Albufeira), one of the best beaches in the Algarve if you want to relax
- 6. Praia dos Três Irmãos (Alvor), a beautiful cove
- 7. Praia dos Três Castelos (Portimão), one of the best beaches in the Algarve if you are looking for a good atmosphere
- 8. Praia de Albandeira (Carvoeiro) and its natural arch
- 9. Benagil beach (Carvoeiro), famous for the Benagil cave
- 10. Praia do Carvalho (Carvoeiro) another joy in the Algarve
- 11. Praia dos Caneiros (Ferragudo), a blue and green paradise surrounded by cliffs
- 12. Praia da Balança (Lagos), one of the best beaches in the Algarve
- WHERE ARE THE BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE
- SUMMARY OF THE BEST BEACHES IN THE ALGARVE