Mole de Olla is a very tasty typical Mexican recipe that will surely take you on a journey of flavor and to a foreign land. Mole means ligua sauce in Aztec and in fact, this recipe is a perfect condiment to accompany meat.
It is a very tasty soup and its name is due to the mole flavor. Throughout the Mexican territory they have experimented with variations of this dish, which is why each region has its particular recipe and preparation procedures. But they all coincide in that spectacular mix of flavors and textures that intoxicate the palate.
This is very popular in the central states of Mexico, to the point of having become a main dish to eat in the afternoon. In Mexico there is no specific date to eat mole de pot. That is why we will see these soups on the table throughout the year.
It is very interesting to know the variability of procedures used in each region. Some use a mix of bone-in meat cuts, in other regions pork is preferred. And best of all, the vegetables used are common to each area.
If you like sauces and you are always looking for new recipes to make your culinary encounters more pleasant, varied and original, you should know the mole de pot recipe. It is a bit laborious preparation, but if you like cooking and combining different flavors, you’ll love it. In addition, it is a super versatile dish that can be either the main or a well-loaded appetizer. There are also those who place it as a garnish to accompany other dishes.
You must take note of the ingredients listed below. This is an approximate measure to delight 4 people. Depending on the number of people you are going to cook for, you should proportionally increase the quantities:
- Sheep meat cut into pieces – 900 g
- water 3 cups
- Parsley ½ cup
- hot red pepper 1
- 500g peeled tomato
- Sliced onions – 1
- water ½ cup
- Black sesame seeds 2 tablespoons
- clove of garlic 2
- beef bouillon cube 1
- I like cumin
- Pieces in slats – 2
- Potatoes cut into quarters – 3
- Sweet yellow corn 200 g
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) 2 tablespoons
- Salt 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper to taste.
- After cutting the meat into pieces, place in a slow cooker and bake until it has changed color.
- Take the meat out of the oven and add three cups of water, the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Don’t forget to cover the pot. Cook over moderate heat. Respect the cooking time, which is an hour and a half, and do not exceed that time.
- Set aside in a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, chili, chopped onion, 1/2 cup water, sesame seeds, garlic, crumbled bouillon cube, and cumin.
- You must leave the preparation on the fire for 5 minutes. The flavor of the ingredients depends on this procedure. By mixing well all the flavors are unified in that characteristic flavor of mole de pot.
- Add tomato sauce to skillet with meat; also add the courgettes, potatoes and corn.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 25-30 minutes or until meat is tender and vegetables are cooked through; season with salt and pepper.
- The pot mole should be cooked over low heat on the stove. This dish is not light, rather it is considered a robust dish. It is a very nutritious broth thanks to the pieces of meat on the bone and the rich vegetables that give an exquisite sensation on the palate due to the combination of flavors.
This soup should be served in large bowls with some portions of meat, corn, carrot, chayote, pumpkin, potato, among others.
- Your final garnish to serve it is chopped onion, cilantro and lemon juice.
- You can accompany with hot corn tortillas.